Today was my first day at Thornley Fallis, a communications agency with big name clients like Ford, City of Ottawa, Government of Canada, RBC and more.
I was warned working in an agency would keep me busy. And everyone was right. But this busy wasn’t overwhelming or stressful, rather informative and kept my day moving quickly, a feeling I want in a future career.
Here are some interesting lessons I learned on my first day:
- Media lists change like a girls wardrobe and therefore you must keep them constantly up-to-date.
- Writing a news release should take you less than an hour to write.
- When writing a news release try and repeat key words, it strengthens yours key messages.
- In meetings be ready to answer questions, not just about the subject of your project, but logistics as well. For example, how long will this project take you.
- The Starbucks coffee machine in the kitchen is amazing.
- I don’t think it is possible to live as a PR practitioner without a notebook of some sort to keep tract of the million notes taken, to-do-lists, questions to ask, etc.
- Ask questions. You would be surprised how much others are willing to help.
And last but not least…
- I can see only after one day my experience at Thornley Fallis will be well worth it.
Glad you enjoyed your first day honey!
I checked out their website and was very impressed with the ‘big’ names they support.
I like your comment about the Starbucks machine..LOL
AND yes, ALWAYS ask questions…I am always thrilled at the help I get from my collegues when I ask questions!!!
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to meeting you.
I am sitting in the corner office beside LeeEllen and across from Kelly.
I love new visitors 🙂
Kristine! I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying everything. At some point soon, us ACPR kids will have to have another PRamily dinner.
Hope placement continues to teach you new and wonderful things – and I hope you continue to share!